Friday, April 8, 2011

Something exciting (to me)

Do you remember being a little girl and being very, very excited about something to the point that you squealed and jumped up and down? Well, I do. I did that a lot, I must have been easily pleased! ;o) For me the most exciting thing ever was being told that I would be able to spend the night at another friend's house. We'd play dress-up, watch Disney movies, play outside (especially in summer-time), and sometimes we'd even get to help bake something yummy! Those experiences were so thrillingly fun, and the whole day seemed to last forever.


Now as most of you know, once you grow up and all the magic fades a little (or a lot), things just aren't quite as exciting as when you were a little girl! Going to the movies is fun, and being with friends is fun, but you definitely don't get that "jump-up-and-down-and-squeal" feeling. I suppose that's a good thing, because if we did feel that way, we'd look pretty stupid, and I think men would really run the other way. XD

I do have one thing I am always very excited about though, and that would be PBS/BBC's Masterpiece Theater!  I love period-piece shows and movies, they are so imaginative and beautiful, and I love to think of what it might have been like to be born a long time ago. I don't know what it is about these shows, but they make so happy!

I wasn't alive in the '70s, so I missed out on this show, but "Upstairs Downstairs" was apparently a huge BBC hit, and lasted five seasons! I am very excited to share with you that this Sunday (4/10/11), PBS will be airing the newest installment and continuation of the old show on television!

2010 Upstairs Downstairs

The show takes place in 1936 Britain, at 165 Eaton Place, and circles around everyone inhabiting the walls of the old house, servants and residents alike. If you are interested in watching the show, you can go to this page for further details. I know I will be in front of my television Sunday night! ;o)

Until Later,

6 comments:

  1. U/D was such a big deal when it was first on. My next door neighbor was a young lady about my age who was from Manchester England. Her husband and mine, and June and I all looked forward to Sunday evenings when we all watched that wonderful show together.
    Once when my husband and I were on our way to England, we met Anthony Ansley, who had been in several episodes of U/D and was also a Time Lord on "Dr. Who". We were traveling on the same flight. He was quite nice.
    I can't wait for the new one. I still am in touch with my old friend, June. We have been discussing it and I'm sure we will be talking as soon as it is over. We hope it is as good as we expect, and I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunday night is such a great night for TV....enjoy.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched the new show last evening and it promises to be interesting. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Priscilla: That is such a great story, thank you for sharing! How neat that you got to travel to Britain with your husband, what a great memory! My sister-in-law is moving to England with her husband this year so that he may attend Oxford University (crazy!), so I am hoping that we might have a chance to visit at some point, and hopefully throw Ireland and Scotland into the mix as well ;o)

    Nanny: I agree! It's such a nice calm way to round off the weekend.

    Mary: I am so glad you enjoyed the show! I watched it with my Mom and sisters, and we all thoroughly enjoyed it as well! I am anticipating the next two episodes greatly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun...I just love BBC mini series! I'm just finishing up Downton Abbey. I will have to put Upstairs Downstairs on my list next. Thanks for the recommendation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny-- aren't BBC shows the best? :) I hope you like Downton Abbey, I've watched it at least twice now, it's so well put-together! I didn't really care for that one "scene," (I think you know which one I mean, lol), but the rest was great imo.

    So far U/D seems to be a fun show! :)

    ReplyDelete

Oh, you're leaving me a little note? Thank you, how I do love to hear from you! :o)
Please be polite and clean, and I will be happy to post your comment after approval.

Merci, Danke, Gracias, σας ευχαριστώ, děkuji, 感谢, Grazie, ありがとう, Thank you!!