Saturday, April 2, 2011

On the Hunt....

For a fun, modest and affordable swim-suit!

I have purchased many styles of swimming-suits over the years. My entire childhood I wore a modest one piece, often with a pair of shorts (my own choice). As I reached my early teen years, I wanted to wear a bikini, but still wasn't the most comfortable in one since they do show a lot of skin, and sometimes don't stay on the greatest. By the time I was 19 or so, I was comfortable in a bikini, and still liked to wear board shorts over the bottom (there's just something so unnerving about feeling like you're wearing a pair of undies in public!).

 Now that I am married and in my mid-twenties, I do own a few pairs of bikini-style suits, but have come to the conclusion after several annoying trips to the pool or park that I'd really rather not have other men watching me when I'm just wanting to spend a nice day at the river with my husband or friends! And let's face it, that's just what most men do, I suppose they can't help themselves (even though they really ought to), and it is our job as women to keep ourselves covered up to the degree we wish. 

Now, I'm not bashing bikinis, I actually love them! They are so cute, and comfortable, and just plain fun. But personally, I just feel more comfortable knowing that the girls won't be making any surprise appearances while I am skim-boarding (not a pic of me) or swimming, and that I won't be causing any other nice lady's husband's eyes to stray where they shouldn't.  :)



I went to the mall this afternoon with my husband and sister after several long but fruitless searches online, and still cannot seem to find the suit I like. I am searching for a tankini-top to wear with a normal bikini bottom or a pair of board shorts, and everything I find is either very loose-fitting (we're talking maternity), or super expensive. I suppose all the extra fabric and modesty just costs more. :o/

So far, these sites have my favorite choices: 

Athleta brand clothing is meant for women who like to run around outdoors, chasing kids, surfing, running, whatever, and it also seems that their suits offer a lot more lining and support for anyone who needs it. They are cute, trendy, and funky, and I really want one! Here is one that I really like:
The India Border Tank

Another site is: 

Lime Ricki has a few choices of suits, and I've never heard of or seen them anywhere but online, so I can't vouch for quality or fit. They do offer a lot of cute, trendy suits though, and even carry a small maternity line! I think this suit is really cute.

Hapari.com also carries really attractive yet modest women's (and girl's) suits. Again, prices are high, but they are another good option! You can view their tankinis here
I really think this suit is nice:




 These sites are all still quite expensive, but I might just have to settle for a larger price-tag and hopefully get high quality in return. :)

I don't know about you, but I am so much looking forward to the warmth of summer, it has been raining-nonstop for weeks here (except for yesterday!), and I need some more sun! I suppose that is why I am already in swimwear-shopping mode. :P

Adieu for now!


3 comments:

  1. http://www.landsend.com/ix/swimwear-swimsuits/index.html?seq=1&visible=1&store=le&tab=6
    Have you tried Land's End? They have a swimming costume for every body!
    BTW I don't know how you have configured your Blogger comments, but I can't post from Firefox. I had to go to my Safari to post this comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you looked at LL Bean? They have simple but cute suits for not too much money. I also love bikinis, but don't always feel comfortable in them and now that I've had surgery I have a significant scar that I'm not sure I want to show off. Not so much looking forward to summer here in Houston. It just gets too hot and there are too many mosquitoes and ants!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Priscilla, you named one site that I LOVE, but forgot to add to my post as a good option! ;) I have seriously considered ordering a suit from Land's End, they have some really adorable ones for decent prices. I know they are really high quality too, as I wore a few of their products as a little girl. I will have to think about Land's End as well, thank you for that idea! :) Another great option for younger, maybe "junior" sized ladies, is Land's End Canvas (http://canvas.landsend.com/canvas/index.html), they have some really fun styles as well.

    I'm not sure what is going on with Firefox; I have my commenting options set to the normal configurations, but as of this evening, I have to use Google Chrome to even access blogger, because Firefox won't work for me either. I am thinking the fact that Firefox just released its latest version might be part of the issue. I will work on that and let you know if I figure anything out, so sorry for that inconvenience! :(

    Renee, welcome and thank you for your comment, it is nice to meet you! ;D I haven't actually looked at L.L. Bean yet, thank you so much for that recommendation! I have a pair of slippers from them, and I'm sure they would be a great option. I bet Houston can be pretty miserable at times in the summer! :( Here in the NW it's fairly mild, so our summers aren't usually too unbearable, with minimal bugs. I hope you Texans have a milder summer than usual! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Oh, you're leaving me a little note? Thank you, how I do love to hear from you! :o)
Please be polite and clean, and I will be happy to post your comment after approval.

Merci, Danke, Gracias, σας ευχαριστώ, děkuji, 感谢, Grazie, ありがとう, Thank you!!