Monday, March 28, 2011

Rain Rain Rain!




I have spent my entire life living in the Pacific NW, but still seem to suffer emotionally from the dark and rainy weather! I love the mild climate, and I really do like rain, but when it rains for weeks on end with no sun-breaks, I start to feel quite morose and peevish, and don't know what to do with myself! {Usually I end up breaking out several Masterpiece Theater DVDs, such as "Lark Rise to Candleford," or "Downton Abbey," and attempt to imagine myself in a nicer place while sipping a nice cup of tea.}

I am a nanny to toddler twins, and we have to go outside every day, rain or shine, for at least 1.5 hours a day. This is typically wonderful, except for when it is raining in torrents, or hailing, or anything else cold and wet (the kiddos get fussy and dirty, and I get soaked, no matter what). So not only does the dark weather somewhat depress me after awhile, but I often must spend a rather yucky time out in the elements each day.

Today, however, was a different story! It was a warm 55 degrees (yes, that feels warm to we Northwesterners!), with a light breeze and some sun spots! So Spring is definitely in the air at last, and I am SO thankful. :o)



What about you? How do you respond to darker weather, and if it bothers you, what do you do to feel better?


4 comments:

  1. I am in Portland, where channel 8 just told us that this month has the most rain since 1904! I don't believe it is just you who's feeling blue from so much rain.
    I don't like warm weather, but neither do I really relish sloshy damp weather, either. I do a periodic check to see if I have anything green growing on my North side!
    I just love Angela @ Parisienne Farmgirl, too. She exemplifies my idea of what a young woman should be. I'm sure you will be able to learn from her and when your time comes to be a mother you will be able to do as good a job as she is doing.
    My younger daughter was a nanny in Switzerland for five years. She loved it. She cared for a toddler and a pair of twins. She was fortunate to have such a wonderful family and traveled with them to so many exciting places.
    I'm looking forward to reading what you are up to.
    Tell us about the little ones you care for. I'm sure they say and do funny things that would be fun to write about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your lovely comment Priscilla! You really made my evening! ;o)

    I have to agree about the weather; I was just complaining to my husband about the rain today, but then told him that I know I won't enjoy the scorching sun this summer either. I guess I'm just a 65-70 degree kind of girl!

    I adore Angela as well!! I anticipate her entries so much, to quote Anne Shirley, she is a "kindred spirit." :) My husband and I are quite conservative in our beliefs (we are Presbyterian), and we plan on homeschooling when we have children, so it is very encouraging to see another successful and happy Mom working in her daily endeavors and life. I certainly hope I can be as patient and cheery with my own children as she is with hers, I love to hear her thoughts and ideas on children and life! :)

    That is so neat about your daughter! I thought about being an Au Pair before I got married, but it just didn't happen. I long to visit Europe, so hopefully my husband and I will get to visit in the next few years. :) I love nannying as well, it's such a good job and builds so much patience and experience! I will surely be posting more about the twins, they are lots of fun! ;)

    Thanks so much for your sweet comment, and for following me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I just found your blog and I just love it!! Welcome to blogland. I look forward to reading your future posts, have fun!
    Sincerely,
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Melinda, and welcome! :o) I am so glad you like my blog! I am just getting it off the ground, but hope to write a lot of positive and fun posts for women like me. ;o)

    Thanks for your comment, I love your blog and store as well, your jewelry is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Oh, you're leaving me a little note? Thank you, how I do love to hear from you! :o)
Please be polite and clean, and I will be happy to post your comment after approval.

Merci, Danke, Gracias, σας ευχαριστώ, děkuji, 感谢, Grazie, ありがとう, Thank you!!