Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Fascinating Fascinators!

As of Spring 2010, I had long (we're talking over a foot) thick, curly hair. I had never (no, never!) been to a salon or had my hair cut (excepting for an occasional trim which was done by my Mom), and loved to do all sorts of pretty and creative things with my hair. I could do the princess Leia braids (not the buns, mind you, yikes!) wrapped around my head, I could do fancy curled up-dos for special occasions, and many other hairstyles. Now, I'm not trying to boast about my hair here, just get to a point. ;o)

While I truly loved my long hair, and enjoyed all the fun things I could do with it, I just didn't really have enough time for it anymore. I'm rather ashamed to say that back in high-school I'd get up super early just to spend two hours on my hair and makeup (mostly my hair) before school. So in May of last year, I cut my hair to shoulder-length. I liked this new cut, and had a lot of fun with it! It was a nice change, and I got used to it after awhile. But in November of 2010, I finally got the guts up to do something I'd always wanted to do but just never had done. I got a Pixie cut!!
I always have loved Natalie Portman's adorable pixie cut from 2008,


I'm a huge Audrey Hepburn fan,

I LOVE Audrey Tautou and her beautiful cropped-cut (I share her coloring and she resembles Ma famille Francaise)


And finally, I saw this girly on the cover of my Marie Claire magazine, and just built up the courage to go have my hair shorn off! I'm not an enormous Emma Watson fan, but her hair just looked so adorable, and she seemed to feel the same way about her "Hermione Granger hair" that I did about mine. It's not always fun to deal with fuzzy, poofy crazy hair.



Anyway. My point in sharing all of this with you, is to say that while I love my new-ish hairstyle, it sometimes is very challenging for me to get used to wearing my hair just one way! So I have been toying with a few ideas. I have crocheted a few little sock-yarn roses and used them as embellishments in my hair (I'll post pics of those another time), and purchased a few small barrettes as well. But lately I've been thinking about creating a fascinator to wear on Sundays or to other special events. Fascinators were very popular in the 40s, and I've always wondered why they aren't still in style! I'm sure a select crowd wears them, but I think it would be fun to bring back some of that class by wearing one myself. Call me eccentric, but I think it would be great!




Perhaps I will have to start brainstorming soon and come up with my own cute creation! What would you think if you saw someone walking down the street wearing a fascinator? Would you ever wear one?

Thanks for reading!

À Bientôt,



2 comments:

  1. I hope you don't mind, and maybe I should have asked first, but I blogged about you and this post today on my blog. I hope it's okay?

    http://turtledovecoo.blogspot.com/2011/04/im-designing-again.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! That's not at all a problem, I am flattered to have inspired you in your crochet! :) I need to start thinking of a fascinator to work on myself, lol! Good luck with your crafting, and thank you for letting me know about your link to my page! ;) May you have a happy, blessed day!

    ReplyDelete

Oh, you're leaving me a little note? Thank you, how I do love to hear from you! :o)
Please be polite and clean, and I will be happy to post your comment after approval.

Merci, Danke, Gracias, σας ευχαριστώ, děkuji, 感谢, Grazie, ありがとう, Thank you!!